Military Service in Denizli

  • Photo taken in:
    Year when photo was taken:
    Country name at time of photo:
    Country name today:
The other people in the photograph: the friends who worked in the cafeteria. Our cafeteria was a large place, the pastry section was separate, another place, the stationary section was very large. I was in charge of that. These are some of the who worked behind the counter. In reality there were about 40-50 stores there. Approximately every two months, there was a turnover of soldiers that arrived. Money was constantly flowing. That soldier would leave the money he had in his pocket with us, in the cafeteria until he became used to life there. They would leave, again 10,000 new soldiers would arrive, they would leave that money with us again. That place was the 4th training brigade for soldiers. I was born on August 6th, 1938. I did not go to preschool. My mother took care of me. My first education was in the Ismet Pasha elementary school where I was president for 30 years. The name of the school was later changed to Shehit Asim school. I finished junior high and highschool in Edirne highschool. All were public schools. I loved social studies, history and geography most. I hated physics. My bar-mitzvah took place in 1951. We were very wealthy then. It was a nice bar-mitzvah. It left a nice impression with me. The piece that was written had really affected me. I don't remember exactly. They had given us a piece of writing both at the temple and the day we celebrated. That we had to be respectful to our mother and father, that we would not sin against G-d, it really affected me. We were very emotional. We had celebrated the evening in our home in Edirne. It was crowded, the whole community came because of my father's duty. My wife's older brother Menahem Razon was my friend. We had parties amongst ourselves. We gathered in houses on Sundays. We visited relatives in their homes on holidays. I liked soccer and music. They provided me with private lessons because I liked music. I did not play any instrument, I only took tonality lessons. We had stone records. We had a gramophone. We did not take vacations that much in my childhood. We would go to Karaagach on the weekens in Edirne with my family. We had a house there. In my childhood, there were two or three taxis in the city. We went to Karaagach every Friday at lunch time with my mother. My father stayed in Edirne because he had to be in the temple on Saturday. My father would come on Saturday in the evening. I did my national service in Denizli during 1959-60. While I was in the military, I got engaged on May 27th, 1960. I returned to Edirne in 1962. Before I left for the military, I was working in my father's business. I got married and started working. I took over the business which was the sale of auto tires in 1962 completely. I still do this work. We also had a franchise for Mobil. Later my father retired.

Interview details

Interviewee: Yasef Romano
Alberto Modiano
Month of interview:
Year of interview:
Istanbul, Turkey


Yasef Romano
Year of birth:
City of birth:
Country name at time of birth:
before WW II:
School Administrator
after WW II:

More photos from this country

Read more biographies from this country

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf03 mnesdcuix8