For the most up to date event information, please visit our event website or click the button to go straight to the program.
20th century European Jewish history, Holocaust and the Cold War
In July 2023, Centropa will bring 70 teachers from 17 countries to walk the streets of history, learn from scholars and journalists, and design cross-cultural projects for their students.
In Vienna, we will:
- stand before the car Archduke Franz Ferdinand was riding in when he was assassinated in 1914 and engage with historians on the origins of the First World War
- marvel at Gustav Klimt’s great gold painted masterpieces and discuss Vienna’s golden age
- take walking tours through Vienna’s Jewish quarter while listening to podcasts of Kindertransport refugees who fled for their lives and discuss with historians the Holocaust in Vienna
- attend Friday evening sabbath services in Vienna’s grand Stadttempel, which turns 200 in 2023.
In Prague we will:
- be given access to the Jewish Museum’s special collections not open to the public
- tour the old Jewish cemetery and the ’new’ Jewish cemetery, where Franz Kafka is buried
- be hosted in the Austrian ambassador’s official residence for an evening
engage with historians on the meaning of the Cold War and fall of Communism
In Terezin we will:
- use Centropa’s new walking tour app in which 20 survivors of Terezin will paint an audio picture of what it was like to live in this hellish place
- discuss how to use Centropa’s Terezin stories in your classroom
- learn about the children of Terezin and how they fought back in the only way they could: with poetry and art, hoping to prove they would survive.