From "A Treasury of Jewish Holiday" Baking by Marcy Goldman
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 8 cups peeled and sliced apples, such as Cortland, McIntosh, or Golden Delicious
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease a 9 by 13-inch rectangular baking pan or a 10-inch springform pan.
In a large bowl, toss the apples with ½ cup of the sugar and the cinnamon. Blend the oil with the remaining sugar. Beat or whisk in the eggs, then the orange juice and the vanilla. Fold in the flour, salt, and baking powder to make a smooth, soft batter.
Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan. Top with the apples, then the remaining batter.
Bake until the cake is crusty and set on top (about 45 minutes).