Grigoriy Tets

  • Year when photo was taken:
    Country name at time of photo:
    Country name today:

This is my brother Grigoriy Tets, as chief of headquarters, at a field hospital. This photo was taken in Moldova in 1944.

In November 1941 we arrived at Yangiyul not far from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. A rear hospital from the vicinity of Moscow, also evacuated to this town. Since my parents had medical education, the local military office sent them to work in this hospital. My brother, who knew several foreign languages, went to work as an English and Russian teacher at school.

We were accommodated in a clay kibitka for hospital employees. There was a clay floor and walls in the hut and there was noting else available. The hospital provided planks, and we made plank beds and stools. The hospital also provided shabby bed sheets, so we had these. The hospital quarters made our life much easier. We had meals at the hospital. In late 1942 my brother was offered a job in the hospital. He had a legal education, and was appointed chief of the military hospital headquarters.

In 1943 our hospital changed its status and became a military field hospital. It belonged to military unit 2959, 57th Army of the 3rd Ukrainian Front. This meant that the hospital was to relocate to the front line. We were contract personnel and might choose to stay in Yangiyul, but we were used to working in the hospital and we decided to follow it. We knew this was not the safest choice, but there were dangers everywhere. The hospital was moving along with the front line forces. We advanced farther and farther to the west. We went across Dnepropetrovsk region, the rest of Ukraine and Moldavia. From there we moved to the border of the USSR: Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary. Our last point was Graz, Austria. Our hospital celebrated 9th May 1945 in Austria. In summer 1946 we returned to Riga. My brother went to work as a lawyer at a plant.

My brother met his future wife in the hospital. Maria Gaisinskaya, a Jewish woman from Dnepropetrovsk, was a doctor. We were friends and corresponded with her after the war. Once we invited her to stay with us in Riga. My brother spent much time with her showing her around. They went to theaters and got to know each other better. When it was time for Maria to go back home, they told us they were going to get married. Maria moved to Riga. They had a common wedding. They registered their marriage in the municipal registry office and invited the family to a quiet dinner. In 1949 Maria and Grigoriy's daughter Ilana was born.

Interview details

Interviewee: Tatiana Tets
Ella Levitskaya
Month of interview:
Year of interview:
Riga, Latvia


Grigoriy Tets
Jewish name:
Year of birth:
City of birth:
Country name at time of birth:
Russia pre 1917
Year of death:
City of death:
Country of death:
after WW II
before WW II:
after WW II:

More photos from this country

Theodore Magder
Sarra Shpitalnik, her husband Moisey Shpitalnik and her father Shlomo Molchanskiy
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf03 mnesdcuix8